Connect with us


Djokovic Disqualified From US Open After Hitting Ball At Line Umpire

The top seed was defaulted after accidentally hitting a ball at a line judge in a fit of anger.



NEW YORK (United States): Top seed Novak Djokovic was disqualified from the US Open for accidentally hitting a ball at a line judge in his fourth-round match. Djokovic, 33, showed his frustration after losing serve to trail 6-5 against Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta. The Serbian world number one took a ball out of his pocket and hit it behind him, striking the female line judge in her throat.

A United States Tennis Association statement said:

In accordance with the Grand Slam rulebook, following his actions of intentionally hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the court or hitting a ball with negligent disregard of the consequences, the tournament referee defaulted Novak Djokovic from the 2020 US Open. Because he was defaulted, Djokovic will lose all ranking points earned at the US Open and will be fined the prize money won at the tournament in addition to any or all fines levied with respect to the offending incident.”


Post the incident, Djokovic was quick to express remorse via social media:

“This whole situation has left me really sad and empty. I checked on the lines person and the tournament told me that thank God she is feeling ok. I‘m extremely sorry to have caused her such stress. So unintended. So wrong. I’m not disclosing her name to respect her privacy. As for the disqualification, I need to go back within and work on my disappointment and turn this all into a lesson for my growth and evolution as a player and human being. I apologize to the @usopen tournament and everyone associated for my behavior. I’m very grateful to my team and family for being my rock support, and my fans for always being there with me. Thank you and I’m so sorry.”

The Sequence Of Events:

As he walked to the Arthur Ashe Stadium sideline for a changeover, trailing Pablo Carreño Busta 6-5 in the first set, Djokovic — who was seeded and ranked No. 1 and an overwhelming favourite for the championship — angrily smacked a ball behind him. The ball flew right at the line judge, who dropped to her knees at the back of the court and reached for her neck.

During a discussion of about 10 minutes near the net involving tournament referee Soeren Friemel, Grand Slam supervisor Andreas Egli and chair umpire Aurelie Tourte, Djokovic pleaded his case.

“His point was that he didn’t hit the line umpire intentionally. He said, ‘Yes, I was angry. I hit the ball. I hit the line umpire. The facts are very clear. But it wasn’t my intent. I didn’t do it on purpose.’ So he said he shouldn’t be defaulted for it,” said Friemel, who made the decision to end the match. “And we all agree that he didn’t do it on purpose, but the facts are still that he hit the line umpire and the line umpire was clearly hurt.”

Friemel didn’t see what happened, and said he was not allowed to check a video replay, but was given a rundown by Egli and Tourte. Friemel said that even if Djokovic didn’t intend to hurt the line judge, she was hurt, and that was enough to merit the ruling.

Eventually, Djokovic walked over to shake hands with Carreño Busta. Tourte then announced that Djokovic was defaulted, the tennis equivalent of an ejection.

Continue Reading


Suresh Raina To Set Up 10 Cricket Training Schools In Jammu-Kashmir

Five schools to be set up in Kashmir division and an equal number in the Jammu division.



JAMMU-KASHMIR (Indian Union Territory): Former India cricketer Suresh Raina would set up a cricket academy in Jammu and Kashmir to train aspiring cricketers, particularly youngsters from remote areas of the union territory, an official spokesman said.

Raina called on Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha in Srinagar yesterday. The megastar, on the request of Lt Governor, agreed to set up five schools in Kashmir division and an equal number in Jammu division to train the aspiring cricketers, particularly the youngsters from remote areas of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.

The Lt Governor appreciated the gesture of the cricketer and also informed him of the government’s resolve of developing sports culture in the Union Territory and said with sports and education, we shall give a new direction to the talented youth of J&K’.

On his visit to Kashmir on Friday, the former international cricketer called on Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Director General of Police (DGP) Dilbag Singh to discuss the plans of J-K Police for encouraging local youths in honing their sporting skills.

The DGP said the presence of the star cricketer in Jammu and Kashmir would help in connecting with the people, particularly the youth, thus channelizing their energy in positive directions.

Raina said he wants to promote sports amongst the youth of J&K. Raina had recently, in a letter to the DGP, written for the promotion of cricket in Jammu and Kashmir by identifying talented youngsters particularly underprivileged kids in the union territory.

Previously, Raina had pulled out of the impending Indian Premier League for personal reasons.

The announcement had come a day after several members of CSK contingent were tested positive for COVID-19.

A few days later, he shared the details of the crime that claimed the lives of his relatives in Punjab.

Continue Reading

India Trends

Cricket Legend Dean Jones Dies In Mumbai

The Australian was working in Mumbai when he reportedly died of a heart attack.



MUMBAI (Maharashtra): In what comes as heart-breaking news to the cricket world, Australian cricket legend Dean Jones has passed away following a sudden cardiac arrest in Mumbai. Jones was part of Star Sports Select Dugout team for Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 and was in Mumbai due to it.

Jones was inside a bio-secure bubble in a seven-star hotel in Mumbai for IPL 2020 duties and suffered a cardiac arrest which led to his demise.

Born in Melbourne, Dean Jones played 52 Test matches scoring 3631 runs at an average of 46.55. With a 216 as his best score, Jones scored 11 centuries and was an important member of Allan Border’s team. Though he boasted an excellent record in Test cricket and is best remembered for his batting and fielding in the ODI format. Through the late 1980s and early 1990s, he was regarded among the best ODI batsmen in the world.

Star India’s full statement on Dean Jones’ demise:

It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr Dean Mervyn Jones AM. He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements. 

Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with Cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young Cricketers. He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Hero to a Generation:

Earl Eddings, chairman of Cricket Australia, said Jones would be sorely missed by cricket fans around the world. “Dean Jones was a hero to a generation of cricketers and will forever be remembered as a legend of this great game,” Eddings said.

“Anyone who watched cricket in the 1980s and 1990s will fondly recall his cavalier approach at the crease and the incredible energy and passion he brought to every game he played.

“Although many remember him for his brilliance in the 50-over game, arguably Jones’ finest moment in the national team came in scorching conditions in Chennai in 1986, where his selfless and courageous innings of 210 helped Australia to a famous tie against India.

“Jones remained an immensely popular figure in Australian and Victorian cricket throughout his life and was a much-loved columnist and commentator in every corner of the cricketing world.”

‘THE’ Chennai Test Match:

His most notable innings was in only his third Test against India in the Tied Test in Chennai (Madras) in 1986. Suffering from dehydration in the oppressively hot and humid conditions, Jones was frequently vomiting on the pitch. He wanted to go off the field “retired ill” which led his captain Allan Border to say that if he could not handle the conditions, he would “get a Queenslander” (Greg Ritchie, a Queenslander like Border, was the next man in to bat). This comment spurred Jones to score 210, an innings he considered a defining moment in his career and one of the epic Test innings in Australian cricket folklore.

This innings of 210 remains the highest score by an Australian cricketer in India. After the match, Jones was put on to an intravenous drip.

The Cricket Journey:

Jones began his first-class career in the 1981–82 season with Victoria in the Sheffield Shield. Jones also played for Durham and Derbyshire in the English County Championship.

Jones captained Derbyshire to second in the 1996 County Championship, their best finish for 60 years. Jones scored 1,338 runs in the season, more than any other Derbyshire player.

He left Derbyshire mid-season in 1997 after disagreements with teammates.

Jones also had run-ins with authority and teammates in his home state of Victoria.[citation needed] During his career, he scored 19,188 runs in first-class matches, including 55 centuries and 88 half-centuries and a highest score of 324 not out, at an average of 51.85.

Jones was selected on the 1984 tour of the West Indies after Graham Yallop had to pull out due to injury. He was not picked in the original XI but was drafted into the side after Steve Smith fell ill. Jones himself was very ill before the Test, and deemed his score of 48 on his debut as his “best knock”.

Between 1984 and 1992, Jones played 52 Test matches for Australia, scoring 3,631 runs, including 11 centuries, at an average of 46.55.

Continue Reading


COVID-19: India Hockey Captain Manpreet Singh, Four Others Test Positive

The quarantined athletes have not interacted with other athletes in the camp.



BENGALURU (Karnataka): Indian men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh, defenders Surender Kumar, Jaskaran Singh and drag-flicker Varun Kumar have tested positive for coronavirus, informed the Sports Authority of India (SAI). All the other players camping in SAI Bengaluru campus are in self-quarantine as their test results are awaited. The players had returned to the national hockey camp here following a month-long break.

The hockey camp is being conducted in the National Centre of Excellence in SAI, Bengaluru. 10 athletes who had travelled along with the other members have also undergone an RT-PCR test.

The quarantined athletes have not interacted with other athletes in the camp thereby ensuring that the infection does not spread in the campus.

Hockey players Manpreet Singh, Surender Kumar, Jaskaran Singh, and Varun Kumar, who reported to the National Hockey Camp in Sports Authority of India’s National Centre of Excellence (NCOE) in Bengaluru along with the team, after a home break, have tested COVID-19 positive,” SAI said in a statement.

As a proactive step, SAI had made it mandatory for all athletes, who reported back to the camp to take a rapid COVID-19 test upon arrival. Since all the athletes who tested positive had travelled together, there is a high likelihood that they contracted the virus while travelling from their hometowns to Bengaluru, it stated.

SAI said that all four players tested negative in the “rapid test” but later, Manpreet and Surender began to display some COVID-19 symptoms.

All four tested negative in the rapid test. However, since Manpreet and Surender began to display some COVID-19 symptoms later, they along with the other ten athletes who had travelled together were given the Quantitative RT-PCR test on Thursday, and the four have been found to be COVID-19 positive,” the statement read.

Though the test results have still not been handed over to SAI, the state government has informed the test results to the SAI authorities, and few test results are still awaited.

The skipper said he is doing fine and hoping to recover soon:

“I am self quarantined on the SAI campus and I am very happy with the way SAI authorities have handled the situation. I am very happy that they made the testing of athletes mandatory. That proactive step helped in identifying the problem right in time. I am doing fine and hope to recover very soon.”

Continue Reading

Most Read This Month

error: Content on this news portal is protected!