Babri Structure Demolition Case: All 32 Accused Acquitted

//
4 mins read

LUCKNOW (Uttar Pradesh): A Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI) Special Court in Lucknow has acquitted all the 32 accused in the Babri Structure Demolition case. The case relates to the razing of the disputed structure in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992.

The court said, there was no conclusive proof against the accused.

The 32 accused persons include former Deputy Prime Minister L. K. Advani, former Union Minister M. M. Joshi, former Union Minister Uma Bharti and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh.

Mahant Ram Vilas Vedanti emerged from the court flashing a victory sign. “It’s good. Justice has been done. The court agreed that we did no wrong,” said the former Bharatiya Janata Party MP who had on previous occasions, said he was ready to go to jail.



Highlights of the 2,000-page verdict:

(1) The demolition was not pre-planned and the accused had actually tried to stop the mob
(2) Those who climbed on the dome were anti-social elements
(3) The authenticity of the audio and video clips produced by the CBI is not proved
(4) Local intelligence report forewarning that some unexpected sequence of events could take place on December 6 went unheeded
(5) There was no criminal conspiracy behind the demolition


LK Advani, 92, MM Joshi, 87, and Uma Bharti, 61, were not present in court and watched via video link when the verdict was announced. They had all been accused of criminal conspiracy, promoting enmity and inciting activists with incendiary speeches from a dais next to the site.

The trial, which lasted for 28 years, was conducted under Sections 147/153-A/153-B/295/295-A/505 IPC read with Sections 149 and 120B IPC.


The CBI, which went into the case, produced 351 witnesses and 600 documents as evidence before the court. The court had initially framed charges against 49 accused; 17 accused have died during the course of time.

Special CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav did not admit the videos produced by the Central Bureau of Investigation, holding that the recording had been tampered with, defence lawyer Manish Tripathi said. The judge also did not admit the photographs submitted by the CBI since it could not produce the original negatives. The judge also agreed with the defence that the CBI did not follow provisions of the Evidence Act.

Kalyan Singh was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh at the time of the demolition. His government was dismissed as riots broke out across the country, leaving around 3,000 people dead. Former Union minister Uma Bharti, who is admitted in a hospital in Uttarakhand after contracting COVID-19, had declared that she would not seek bail if she was convicted.

Over the last 28 years, the case has seen many turns. Two cases were filed in 1992, which eventually grew to 49. The second case, FIR no 198, had named Mr Advani, Mr Joshi and Uma Bharti for promoting religious enmity and provoking rioting. Later, the Supreme Court asked that criminal conspiracy charges be restored against them.
In 1993, the CBI or Central Bureau of Investigation filed a single, consolidated charge sheet against 48 people including Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray.


The UP police have issued a high alert across the state in view of the verdict, in the Babri mosque demolition case, to be delivered by the special CBI court (Ayodhya case) in Lucknow on Wednesday, said senior police officials.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

Human Rights No Excuse For Flouting Law Of The Land: Govt Tells Amnesty

Next Story

India Successfully Test-Fires BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile

Latest League Of India

error: Content on this news portal is protected!

0 0.00