Connect with us

India Trends

AAP’s Tahir Hussain Arrested In Delhi’s Anti-Hindu Violence Case

Hussain was booked in the murder case of the IB staffer in northeast Delhi amid anti-Hindu violence.

Published

on

NEW DELHI: A Delhi court today dismissed a plea by suspended AAP Councillor Tahir Hussain seeking to surrender before it in connection with the alleged killing of Intelligence Bureau (IB) official Ankit Sharma, after which the Police arrested him.

Also Read: Tahir Hussain’s ‘Riot Factory’ Sealed By Police; FIR Filed Against The AAP Leader

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vishal Pahuja rejected Hussain’s plea saying that the relief sought by him was outside its jurisdiction. As the court dismissed Hussain’s plea, a Delhi Police team, which had already arrived, arrested him and took him into custody.


Earlier, Hussain moved the surrender application before the court saying that he was willing to join the investigation and wanted to surrender in the case.

 

Advocate Mukesh Kalia, appearing for Hussain, argued before the court that Hussain was facing life threats and was forced to move a surrender plea before the Rouse Avenue court instead of Karkardooma court. The lawyer said Hussain has been falsely implicated in the case and sought protection for his life and property.

Hussain was booked in the murder case of the IB staffer in northeast Delhi amid violence over the new citizenship law last week. The family of Ankit Sharma, who was found dead in a drain near his home in northeast Delhi’s riot-hit Chand Bagh area, had accused Tahir Hussain of being behind the killing.


On the complaint of Ankit’s father, the police had registered an FIR against Hussain, who had rejected the charge.

Delhi’s ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) then suspended him for his alleged involvement in the violence which has left at least 42 people dead and around 200 injured.

Hussain, on Tuesday, moved a Delhi court seeking anticipatory bail in the case lodged in connection with the alleged killing of IB staffer. District and Sessions Judge had, however, deferred the hearing for Wednesday.

Continue Reading
Comments

India Trends

China Has Departed From Mutual Understandings In Respect Of The LAC: MEA

India slams China for violating peace agreements, deploying a large number of troops along LAC in Ladakh.

Published

on

NEW DELHI: External Affairs Ministry today said the Chinese side has been deploying a large number of troops and armaments along the LAC since early May.

Briefing media virtually this evening, Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said, this is not in accordance with the provisions of various bilateral agreements, especially the key 1993 Agreement on the Maintenance of Peace and Tranquility along the Line of Actual Control in the India-China Border Areas.

He stated that the Indian side had to undertake counter deployments and the resulting tension has thereafter expressed itself.  The spokesperson said that in early May, the Chinese side had taken action to hinder India’s normal, traditional patrolling pattern in the Galwan Valley area.


The resulting face-off was addressed by the ground commanders as per the provisions of the bilateral agreements and protocols.

In mid-May, the Chinese side sought to change the status quo in other areas of the Western Sector. India had registered protest on the Chinese actions through both the Diplomatic and Military channels and made it clear that any such change was unacceptable.

Subsequently, the Senior Commanders met on 6th June and agreed on a process for de-escalation and disengagement along the LAC that involved reciprocal actions. Both sides had agreed to respect and abide by the LAC and not undertake any activity to alter the status quo.


Mr Srivastava said the Chinese side departed from these understandings in respect of the LAC in the Galwan Valley area and sought to erect structures just across the LAC. When this attempt was foiled, Chinese troops took violent actions on 15th June that directly resulted in casualties. He said both sides remain deployed in large numbers in the region thereafter, while military and diplomatic contacts are continuing.

The spokesperson said respecting and strictly observing the Line of Actual Control is the basis for peace and tranquillity in the border areas and explicitly recognized so in the 1993 and subsequent agreements.

He said Indian troops are fully familiar with the alignment of the LAC in all sectors of the India-China border areas and abide scrupulously by it. They have been patrolling all along the LAC, including in the Galwan Valley, for a long time.

He said all infrastructure built by the Indian side has always been on its own side of the LAC.

He stressed that the Indian side has never undertaken any actions across the LAC and has never attempted to unilaterally change the status quo.


The spokesperson said that however, that has not been reciprocated by the Chinese side and that from time to time has led to face-offs.

He said the deployment of a large body of troops and changes in behaviour has also been aggravated by unjustified and untenable claims. He pointed out that the recent shift in the Chinese position on the Galwan Valley is one example.

Srivastava said the maintenance of peace and tranquillity in the border areas is the basis of India China bilateral relationship. He said it is imperative that the established mechanisms are used by both parties to address the current situation.

He said India expects the Chinese side to ensure the expeditious restoration of peace and tranquillity in the border areas. He added that a continuation of the current situation would only vitiate the atmosphere for the development of the relationship.

Continue Reading

CULTURE-HERITAGE

World-Renowned, Divine Rath Yatra Begins In Puri; To Follow COVID-19 Restrictions

The Chherapahara ritual will be held at 11.30 a.m. The chariots will be pulled thereafter around 12 noon.

Published

on

PURI (Odisha): The Bhagwan Shri Jagannath Puri Rath Yatra, one of India’s biggest religious festivals, is underway on Tuesday in the temple town in Odisha amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Traditionally, more than 10 lakh devotees adhering to the Sanatan Dharm converge in Puri during the festivities but this year people will not be allowed after the Supreme Court placed several conditions, including the imposition of a curfew in Puri during the festivities.

The chariots of the Lords Jagannath and Balabhadra and Goddess Subhadra will be pulled only by the selective servitors and police officials.


The Supreme Court Monday asked the Odisha government to make necessary arrangements to conduct Puri’s Rath Yatra, scheduled to start from June 23, in a restricted manner in wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The apex court also said it cannot “micro-manage” the rituals and left it to the wisdom of state, the Centre and temple management to deal with that issue.

“If it is confined to Puri alone in a limited way without public attendance as proposed by Gajapati Maharaj of Puri, Chairman of the Puri Jagannath Temple administration, state govt will endeavour to make necessary arrangements to conduct it accordingly,” the SC bench said.

The apex court has also directed that the govt should impose curfew in Puri during procession. The Odisha government imposed a shutdown in Puri district from 9 pm on Monday till 2 pm on Wednesday.


The rituals for the world-famous Rath Yatra have started with Mangal Aarati followed by Mailam, Tadaplagi, Rosha hom, Aabakasha and Surya puja. The Pahandi ritual has also begun.

The siblings, Lord Jagannath, Balabhadra and Goddess Subhadra, will board the chariots at the Singha Dwara facing towards the Gundicha Temple by 10 in the morning.

The Chherapahara ritual will be held at 11.30 a.m. The chariots will be pulled thereafter around 12 noon.

Here is all about the Rath Yatra festival in Puri:

ॐ Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra, and Goddess Subhadra are usually worshipped in the sanctum of the famous Jagannath Temple in Puri. They are brought out of the temple every year on the second day of the third Hindu month of Asadha onto the Bada Danda street of Puri in three huge chariots accompanied by Sudarshana Chakra.

ॐ The nine-day Rath Yatra, or the chariot procession, celebrates this annual journey of Lord Jagannath and his two siblings from the 12th-century Jagannath Temple to Gundicha Temple, 2.5km away. The Gundicha Temple is their aunt’s home.


ॐ The rituals for Rath Yatra will begin at 3am inside the 12th-century shrine.

ॐ The Pahandi ritual (procession) will begin at 7am and the deities will board the chariots at the Singha Dwara facing towards the Gundicha Temple by 10am. The Chherapahara ritual will be held at 11.30am. The chariots will be pulled thereafter at around 12pm.

ॐ The three deities are taken in the massive wooden chariots weighing 85 tonnes each. After staying in Gundicha temple for nine days, the three deities come back to the Jagannath Temple on the 10th day in a return journey.

ॐ Lord Jagannath’s chariot Nandighosa is 45.6 feet in height and has 18 wheels. The 45- feet chariot of Lord Balaram comes with 16 wheels and is known as Taladhvaja and Devadalana is Goddess Subhadra’s 44.6 feet chariot with 14 wheels.

ॐ The chariots are built every year only from a particular type of tree.

ॐ Thousands of devotees pull the chariots to their aunt’s temple, the Gundicha Temple. It is considered to be a good omen and is also believed to bring luck and success if one gets a chance to pull the chariots.

ॐ The deities stay at the Gundicha Temple for nine days, after which they ride the chariots back to their Jagannath Temple, a journey known as Bahuda Jatra.

ॐ The chariots on the way back stop at the Mausi Ma Temple or home of Lord Jagannath’s aunt. The deities are offered Poda Pitha, a special pancake which said to be the favourite of Lord Jagannath, at the Mausi Ma Temple.

ॐ In the 425 years of the Rath Yatra, the event has been stopped 32 times, mostly during invasions.


ॐ It was not held for the first time in 1568 when Kala Pahad alias Kala Chand Roy, a general of Bengal king Suleiman Kirrani, attacked the temple and pillaged the deities.

ॐ The last time it could not be held was between 1733 and 1735 when Mohammed Taqi Khan, deputy governor of Odisha, attacked the Jagannath temple, forcing the shifting of the idols to Ganjam district.

Impact of COVID-19:

After the Supreme court’s decision in favour of Rath Yatra, the District Administration has imposed a curfew in Puri for the Yatra.

The public has been requested not to enter any part of the district during this period. Around fifty platoons of police have been deployed.

Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has made a special appeal to the people of Puri to observe COVID guidelines and keep themselves and their families safe.

Continue Reading

DEFENCE-SECURITY

India Dismisses China’s Claims On Galwan As “Untenable, Unacceptable”

All infrastructure built by the Indian side is naturally on its own side of the LAC: MEA

Published

on

NEW DELHI:  In a terse, precise and categorical message to China, India has once again reiterated that Galwan Valley is historically its territory and New Delhi will not accept “untenable and exaggerated” claims by China with regard to Line of Actual Control (LAC).

The position with regard to the Galwan Valley area has been historically clear. Attempts by the Chinese side to now advance exaggerated and untenable claims with regard to Line of Actual Control (LAC) there are not acceptable. They are not in accordance with China’s own position in the past,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said on Saturday.

He said that the Indian troops are fully familiar with the alignment of the LAC in all sectors of the India-China border areas, including in the Galwan Valley. They abide by it scrupulously and the Indian side has never undertaken any actions across the LAC. In fact, they have been patrolling this area for a long time without any incident.


On Friday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian released a statement that gave Beijing’s “step by step” version of the events which led to the Galwan valley face-off of June 15. India has said that 20 of its soldiers were killed, while around 76 were injured in the physical hand-to-hand fight with Chinese troops on Monday night.

The Chinese document reiterated China’s recent claim over the whole Galwan valley, but it also accused India of violating the understanding reached on June 6 among senior commanders that Indian patrols “would not cross the estuary of the Galwan river”.

Responding sharply to the statement by the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Friday on the events in the Galwan Valley area, Srivastava gave a detailed account of the incident.


The MEA official said that since early May 2020, the Chinese side has been hindering India’s normal, traditional patrolling pattern in this area which had resulted in a face-off that was addressed by the ground commanders as per the provisions of the bilateral agreements and protocols.

Subsequently in mid-May, the Chinese side attempted to transgress the LAC in other areas of the Western Sector of the India-China border areas. These attempts were invariably met with an appropriate response from us. Thereafter, the two sides were engaged in discussions through established diplomatic and military channels to address the situation arising out of Chinese activities on the LAC…We do not accept the contention that India was unilaterally changing the status quo. On the contrary, we were maintaining it,” the MEA spokesperson said.

He added that the senior commanders met on June 6, 2020, and agreed on a process for de-escalation and disengagement along the LAC that involved reciprocal actions.

However, the Chinese side departed from these understandings in respect of the LAC in the Galwan Valley area and sought to erect structures just across the LAC. When this attempt was foiled, Chinese troops took violent actions on June 15, 2020, that directly resulted in casualties,” he added.

The Spokesman said, the two sides are in regular touch and early meetings of military and diplomatic mechanisms are currently being discussed.


Referring to telephone conversation between External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on June 17, Srivastava said the EAM conveyed India’s protest “in the strongest terms on the events leading up to and on the violent face-off on June 15, 2020“.

Continue Reading

Most Read This Month

error: Content on this news portal is protected!