Connect with us

India Trends

आम्ही १६२ (We Are 162), Says Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress Combine

Fearing attempts to split their ranks, the parties have moved MLAs to various hotels ahead of the floor test.

Published

on

MUMBAI (Maharashtra): Top leaders and MLAs of the Shiv Sena, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and Congress arrived in buses and cars to a five-star hotel in Mumbai on Monday evening for a show of strength hours after the three parties staked claim to power.

The theme of the meet, “आम्ही १६२ / We Are 162”, was first tweeted by Shiv Sena’s Sanjay Raut earlier in the day:

“We are 162” posters were put up all over a conference hall in the hotel where the MLAs gathered, against the backdrop of an image of the Constitution of India.

NCP chief Sharad Pawar and his daughter Supriya Sule, and Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his son Aaditya Thackeray were present as the MLAs chatted animatedly, took selfies and worked the room.


The three-party alliance, which calls itself the “Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi”, approached the Governor three days after the BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis was sworn in as Chief Minister, with the NCP’s Ajit Pawar as his deputy, in an early morning oath ceremony that left everyone in shock.

NCP leader Jitendra Awhad read out a pledge on behalf of all MLAs of the NCP, Shiv Sena and Congress that gathered at the hotel. The pledge was, “I will be honest to my party.. will not get lured by anything. I will not do anything that will benefit the BJP. I will not get involved in any anti-party activities.”

I swear that under the leadership of Sharad Pawar, Uddhav Thackeray & Sonia Gandhi, I will be honest to my party. I won’t get lured by anything. I will not do anything which will benefit BJP.”



Maharashtra Congress President Balasaheb Thorat began the proceedings by saying that seeing the show of strength by the three parties, CM Devendra Fadnavis should resign. “The first meeting of Maha Vikas Aghadi is happening here. This meeting is to tell the ones in minorities to resign. We have given a letter of 162 signatures to the Governor’s office. After seeing our strength, the CM should resign.”

Congress leader Ashok Chavan says, “We are more than 162. We have taken this decision to keep BJP away from power. We have submitted a letter with 162 signatures to the Raj Bhavan. We are in majority, we should get the chance.”

The Congress said its alliance with the NCP and the Shiv Sena had the support of 154 MLAs and the BJP will get a “befitting reply” in the Maharashtra Assembly floor test.

Buoyed by the numbers, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray exclaimed that the (collective) strength can’t be captured by camera. He said, “The strength of our alliance cannot be captured in any camera lens. We have arrived, clear our way.”

“If you do not know what Shiv Sena is, try crossing our way, we will show you what Shiv Sena is. We are not here for just 5 years. We are starting from Maharashtra, and then we will move ahead,” he added.

Taking the microphone at the end, NCP president Sharad Pawar says, “There will not be any problem in proving our majority. The one who is suspended from the party cannot give any orders. On the day of floor test, I will bring more than 162 MLAs. This is not Goa, this is Maharashtra.”


Will take personal responsibility to ensure no MLA loses Assembly membership for voting against BJP,” Pawar added.

Coming down hard on the BJP, he added that “The ones in the Centre have formed government in many states without having majority including Karnataka, Goa, Manipur etc. BJP has shown how power is misused. Of a house of 288, 162 are present here. Many others have also supported us but we have not yet taken it on paper so we won’t disclose their names now. The day SC will order for a floor test, we are prepared for it.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

India Trends

Judiciary Shown Mirror As Nation Celebrates Police Encounter Of Hyderabad Rapists

The woman’s sister hoped the encounter killing would scare others indulging in such crimes against women.

Published

on

HYDERABAD (Telangana): All four accused in the rape-and-murder case of a 25-year-old woman veterinarian near here last month were killed in an exchange of fire with police on Friday morning, police said. The incident took place around 5.30 am when the accused were taken to the site of the offence for the reconstruction of the scene of the crime as part of the investigation, a senior police official said.

Also Read:
(1) Hyderabad Veterinarian Priyanka Reddy Murdered, Burnt; Rape Suspected
(2) Parliament Expresses Outrage Over Hyderabad Gang Rape, Murder Case

They (accused) snatched weapons from police and fired on police and tried to escape… police fired in retaliation in which the four accused died,” a senior police official told media in Hyderabad. Two policemen were also injured, he said.


The four persons — Mohammed Areef, Jollu Shiva, Jollu Naveen and Chennakeshavulu — were accused of gruesome rape and murder of 26-year-old Priyanka Reddy.

Reddy Family, Nirbhaya’s Family, Telangana Celebrities, Nation Celebrate:

The father of the woman veterinarian said he was very happy that all the four accused were killed in an encounter and thanked the police and Telangana government for it.

We watched on TV that they were killed in an encounter. We are very happy. Even people are happy. I thank the Telangana government and police for the encounter. I thank everyone who stood by us,” the woman’s father said.



The woman’s sister hoped the encounter killing would scare others indulging in such crimes against women.

We are happy. We did not expect this (killing in the encounter). We thought they would be hanged through courts,” she said. “We thank everyone who stood by us. With this incident people should be scared to do such crimes (against women)” she told media.

Nirbhaya’s parents were the first to welcome the action. The mother of Nirbhaya, the 23-year-old paramedic student who died days after being gang-raped in December 2012, appealed to authorities to not punish the policemen involved in the encounter.

Nirbhaya’s father also welcomed the encounter and said the family’s wait for justice ended early. “The family of the Hyderabad doctor will not have to wait for justice for seven years like us. Police did the right thing,” he said.

Police Version Challenged In Court:

Following a writ petition by civil rights activists seeking judicial intervention into the reported encounter of the four accused in the rape of murder of a Hyderabad vet, the Telangana High court on Friday directed the government to preserve the bodies of the four men till Monday, December 9.


Responding to the writ petition, which suspected foul play in the incident, the High Court directed officials to submit a video recording of the post-mortem in a CD to the Principal District Judge, Mahaboobnagar for all the accused.

The Court has also further directed that the dead bodies of the four deceased be preserved till 8 pm on Monday.

The Principal District Judge, Mahaboobnagar will receive and submit the CD of the post-mortem to Registrar General of the HC Telangana by Saturday evening as directed by the HC.

The activists in their writ petition stated that the police’s version of events has raised serious concerns.

It would be a fallacy to even imagine that some kind of justice has been served by abandoning all due process and committing such killings. Is it permissible for police personnel to play judge, jury, executioner and mete out fatal justice in this manner? Is the ‘satisfying of the collective conscience’ in such a brazenly unlawful and murderous way healthy for a democracy? This is absolute violation of rule of law and constitutional guarantees,” the petition noted.

Citing media reports, the activists said, “It is clear that all the four accused/suspects were in police custody, thus completely unarmed, and in all probabilities handcuffed. The recreation of the events at the crime scene at 3 am in the morning raise further serious concerns into these extra-judicial killings.”

Cyberabad Commissioner VC Sajjanar, however, clarified on Friday that the accused were not handcuffed.

The postmortem of the bodies was conducted at Mahaboobnagar District Hospital under the supervision of the Superintendent of the Hospital and a team of forensic experts from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad.

On Friday, the four accused were killed when they were taken to Chatanpally to recover the phone, wallet and power bank of the victim, Disha. Disha’s burnt body was found close to the spot of the reported encounter near the underpass of Shadnagar Outer Ring Road (ORR) on November 27.

Continue Reading

AGENTS OF CHANGE

The Final Peak? Google CEO Sundar Pichai Named CEO Of Google’s Parent Company Alphabet

An alumnus of Wharton, Stanford and IIT Kharagpur, Pichai was born in Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

Published

on

SAN FRANSISCO (United States): Google’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai will assume the leadership role at its parent firm Alphabet after the internet giant’s co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin stepped down from its active management, making him one of the most powerful corporate leaders of the world.

Page and Brin stepped down as CEO and president, respectively, of Alphabet, the company announced on Tuesday. Pichai, 47, the current CEO of Google and a longtime executive at the company, will take over as CEO of Alphabet in addition to his current role.

Considered as a significant shakeup in the Silicon Valley company, the shuffle comes at a time when Google is facing mounting scrutiny over its size, data privacy practices and potential impact on society.


With Alphabet now well-established, and Google and ‘Other Bets’ operating effectively as independent companies, it’s the natural time to simplify our management structure, the two Google co-founders wrote in a public letter.

We’ve never been ones to hold on to management roles when we think there’s a better way to run the company,” they said. “And Alphabet and Google no longer need two CEOs and a President. Going forward, Sundar will be the CEO of both Google and Alphabet. He will be the executive responsible and accountable for leading Google, and managing Alphabet’s investment in our portfolio of Other Bets,” said Page and Brin.

The co-founders will continue to serve on Alphabet’s board of directors. “We are deeply committed to Google and Alphabet for the long term, and will remain actively involved as Board members, shareholders and co-founders. In addition, we plan to continue talking with Sundar regularly, especially on topics we’re passionate about!” they wrote.



Page and Brin, who founded the internet giant over two decades ago, took lesser roles in day-to-day operations in the company in 2015 when they turned Google into Alphabet.

In his statement, Pichai made it clear that the transition will not affect the Alphabet structure or the work they do day-to-day.

I will continue to be very focused on Google and the deep work we’re doing to push the boundaries of computing and build a more helpful Google for everyone,” he wrote. “At the same time, I’m excited about Alphabet and its long term focus on tackling big challenges through technology,” he said in his email.

Pichai took over as CEO of Google in 2015 as part of the company’s broader corporate restructuring to create Alphabet.

Prior that, Pichai had held a variety of roles at the company, including overseeing Chrome, product chief of Google and head of the Android operating system. Endorsing the leadership role played by Pichai ever since he was made Google CEO, Page and Sergey said the Indian-American brings humility and a deep passion for technology to their users, partners, and employees every day. “He’s worked closely with us for 15 years, through the formation of Alphabet, as CEO of Google, and a member of the Alphabet Board of Directors.


He shares our confidence in the value of the Alphabet structure, and the ability it provides us to tackle big challenges through technology,” they wrote. “There is no one that we have relied on more since Alphabet was founded, and no better person to lead Google and Alphabet into the future,” they said.

Pichai was born in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. He is an alumnus of Wharton business school, Stanford University and Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.

Continue Reading

AGENTS OF CHANGE

NASA Locates Chandrayaan-2’s Vikram Lander On Moon

The three largest pieces of debris are each about 2×2 pixels and cast a one-pixel shadow.

Published

on

WASHINGTON D.C. (United States): High-resolution images captured by NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) during its flyby of the lunar region has located the debris of ISRO’s Chandrayaan-2 Vikram Lander. The images suggest that Vikram Lander, as assumed, had a hard landing.

The area with debris belonging to the vehicle is visible in the image. It is visible in the image that debris scattered at more than a dozen places for several kilometres. According to NASA, Indian engineer Shanmuga Subramanian gave evidence related to the wreck to the agency.

The debris of Vikram Lander is outlined with green dots in the picture. At the same time, the blue dots show the difference in the moon’s surface after the crash.


The letter ‘S’ shows the debris of the lander identified by scientist Shanmuga Subramanian.

Shanmuga Subramanian reviewed Vikram Lander’s last known velocity and position; he changed the location of debris as per the previous images are shown. A white dot appeared just a short distance from where Chandrayaan-2’s hard landing was being anticipated. He said that in some earlier photographs this point was not clear. It is quite possible that the Lander may have penetrated the surface of the moon.

The Chandrayaan 2 Vikram lander was targeted for a highland smooth plain about 600 kilometres from the south pole; unfortunately, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) lost contact with their lander shortly before the scheduled touchdown on September 7.

Despite the loss, getting that close to the surface was an amazing achievement.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera team released the first mosaic (acquired Sept. 17) of the site on Sept. 26 and many people have downloaded the mosaic to search for signs of Vikram. Shanmuga Subramanian contacted the LRO project with positive identification of debris.



After receiving this tip, the LROC team confirmed the identification by comparing before and after images. When the images for the first mosaic were acquired the impact point was poorly illuminated and thus not easily identifiable. Two subsequent image sequences were acquired on Oct. 14 and 15, and Nov. 11.

The LROC team scoured the surrounding area in these new mosaics and found the impact site (70.8810°S, 22.7840°E, 834 m elevation) and associated debris field. The November mosaic had the best pixel scale (0.7 meters) and lighting conditions (72° incidence angle).

The debris first located by Shanmuga is about 750 meters northwest of the main crash site and was a single bright pixel identification in that first mosaic (1.3-meter pixels, 84° incidence angle). The November mosaic shows best the impact crater, ray and extensive debris field.

The three largest pieces of debris are each about 2×2 pixels and cast a one-pixel shadow.

Continue Reading

Most Read This Month

error: Content on this news portal is protected!